The Weekend: Go cycling in Micanopy. You can’t help but love Micanopy. With its shady boulevards lined with live oaks, it’s an Old South spot tailor-made for rustic rides.
Start Here: Rest up for your ride at the Herlong Mansion B&B, where the master suite boasts a king-size mahogany four-poster bed and French doors that lead to a second-story veranda.
1. Fuel up before hopping on your bike with breakfast by Herlong owner Carolyn West. Marigold yolks come from farm-fresh eggs laid by hens raised just down the road, while the savory potato pancake-like fritters have a secret ingredient: creamy grits. Don’t pass on the sour-cream banana bread either; you’ll work those calories off on the trail.
2. Take a two-wheeled excursion on the Gainesville-Hawthorne State Trail. Start at the Rochelle trailhead at the intersection of County Roads 234 and 2082. From there, an easy five-mile ride leads to the La Chua Trail, one of the prairie’s most spectacular vistas, where migrating sandhill cranes flock in winter. The tree-lined trail is mostly flat, with just enough dips and turns to keep it interesting.
3. Need a breather? Stop at one of the cell-phone tour markers to dial up an overview of the area’s wildlife and history. The paved trail passes through Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park, where wild horses and bison roam.
- Summer is the perfect time to travel. Pack your bags, fill up the tank and take in one of these unforgettable adventures!
- Whether in Key West, Palm Beach or a small town in the middle of nowhere, Florida’s rich architectural history illustrates deep-rooted traditions bound by our climate and culture.
by Susan Friedman
- Enjoy a relaxing road trip through Micanopy, McIntosh and Cross Creek — three small towns south of Gainesville that simply ooze Southern charm and historic cracker style.
- In a tiny town where live oaks outnumber residents, tranquility is the drink of choice.
Sidebar Right Panel
Recent Blog Entries
Sip. Splash. Smile this Summer at Orlando's Collest Pool Resort!
Win a 3 night/4 day Family Getaway to Orlando!