Tag: Pine Island
- The Weekend: Go fishing at Pine Island. Pine Island may not have a single beach, but you’ll hardly notice while napping on a hammock or fishing along the 17-mile island’s coast.
Start Here: An old-school fishing lodge with upscale trimmings, Tarpon Lodge provides comfort; we love the island house, a building on stilts with views of Pine Island Sound. (You’re so close that the waves will lull you to sleep.) Get fortified with a complimentary continental breakfast at the 1926-built historic lodge building before heading out for the day.
1. Fishing is number one on your to-do list. Tarpon is the premier catch here, but Native Attitude Fishing Charters will take you to waters where redfish, snook, tripletail, cobia and others (depending on the season) are biting. While you cruise, keep an eye out for the wooden shacks perched on stilts off North Captiva Island; they’re still used by private fishermen for overnight excursions.
2. Every boater knows that being on the water whets your appetite. Instead of packing your own, dock at Cabbage Key for burgers and a Cabbage Creeper: white rum, cream of coconut, coffee liqueur and pineapple juice. This spot is pure Old Florida; decoration comes courtesy of dollar bills pinned to the ceiling and walls with sayings like “Go Noles” written on them.
3. For dinner, get your seafood on with dinner at the Tarpon Lodge’s four-star restaurant, serving up the best blue-crab-and-roasted-corn chowders around. Afterwards, there's live music in the lounge — the perfect spot to hear plenty of fish tales.
- We've put together this amazing collection of high-quality widescreen wallpapers that are free to download and will absolutely inspire you!
- It's time to freshen up your desktop! Download this award-winning shot of distant thunderstorms along the Gulf Coast.
- Find a quaint historic inn located in charming Apalachicola — more places to stay.
- These four body treatments make the most of Florida’s bounty with the use of local ingredients. Enjoy, indulge and pamper yourself!
- Located on this Old Florida harbor — perfect for seekers of quiet, nature and art.
- I woke to a chilly misty rain over Charlotte Harbor. Old man winter Florida-style had officially reared his head.
- We found sunsets—and seconds—in a tiny fishing town + Matlacha
- Use this handy online guide for the Outer Gulf Islands in Florida, to decide where you wish to go and how you want to get there.
- A trip to Southwest Florida's outer islands shows us it really is possible to live without TV and WiFi
Sidebar Right Panel
Recent Blog Entries
Sip. Splash. Smile this Summer at Orlando's Collest Pool Resort!
Win a 3 night/4 day Family Getaway to Orlando!