The Weekend: Go for a bike ride in Tallahassee. The 20.5-mile Tallahassee-St. Marks Historic Railroad State Trail isn’t just for serious cyclists. Average bikers can make the journey along the canopied paved bicycling trail from state capitol to the the fishing town of St. Marks within a couple of hours, including stops for photo-ops and rest areas with water fountains.
Start Here: To make a weekend out of it, start in Talllahassee and plan for an overnight in St. Marks. The Shell Island Fish Camp has simple motel-style rooms as well as quaint stand-alone two-bedroom cabins with porches. The marina and supply store are popular with fisherman, so you'll likely hear a few fish tales while you relax.
1. Along the Tallahassee-St. Marks Historic Railroad State Trail, you can take on side trails provide for an extra off-road challenge. The 7.5 mile Munson Hills trail — considered the best off-road experience in Florida — passes by ponds and hammock ecosystems and scales sand hills through the Apalachicola National Forest.
2. Stop for a rest at the San Marcos de Apalache Historic State Park’s fort, occupied by Andrew Jackson in the 1800s, and the St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge, home of whooping cranes and monarch butterflies.
3. The fried grouper basket and smoked mullet served with drawn butter are always a sure bet at the Riverside Café, a classic Old Florida-style eatery overlooking the St. Marks River.
- See the many sides of Florida at the "Artistic Representations of Florida Throughout 500 Years" at the 22nd Floor Gallery at the Capitol in Tallahassee from now until April.
- The secret's out: Tallahassee's newest speakeasy bar, Alchemy, is home to bespoke cocktails and a prohibition vibe that makes it quite the experience. Check it out next time you're in Tallahassee...just head over to the Midtown Filling Station and ask an employee about Alchemy to get the password. But until then, whip up a few of Alchemy's drinks at home with these exclusive cocktail recipes.
- Scare up the Halloween season with a walk (or ride) on the spooky side of the state's past.
- Get a taste of the Old South in North Florida at Honey Lake Plantation, where rustic and modern blur amid towering cypress trees.
- Food on the grill, cold beer, good friends and football make for a perfect autumn weekend.
- In honor of the Florida State Parks System’s 75th anniversary, we head outdoors, FT+L-style. As it turns out, roughing it is — thankfully — not what it used to be.
- Your Florida! From glorious sunrises to nocturnal light spectacles, extraordinary photo opportunities abound in our home state. We hand over the reins to our readers in Florida Travel + Life’s second annual photo contest.
- Find a lavish hotel that offers pure elegance in South Beach — more places to stay.
- Here are our favorite things to do that don't require you to open your wallet.
Sidebar Right Panel
Recent Blog Entries
Sip. Splash. Smile this Summer at Orlando's Collest Pool Resort!
Win a 3 night/4 day Family Getaway to Orlando!