Flowers are fine, and candles are clever. But come on: Don’t you think Mom deserves something she really wants for Mother’s Day this year? Try a custom-made cocktail called “Mom’s Juice” made with sustainable vodka.
Half Shell Vodka has a tasty recipe that Mom will ask for year after year. But only you will have the recipe.
If you’re not familiar with Half Shell Vodka, it’s a new sustainably minded spirit produced by Distillery 98 in Santa Rosa Beach in Florida’s Panhandle. The homegrown operation created spirits in small batches from locally sourced, family-farmed ingredients.
For its vodka, Distillery 98 uses water from local aquifers and Florida-grown corn that is later recycled into livestock feed. Their spirits are even packaged in a 94 percent recyclable paperboard bottle. The liquor’s catchy name – Half Shell Vodka – is inspired by the distillation process, which includes a unique activated coconut carbon and oyster shell filtration system.
The secret ingredient to Mom’s juice is a kiwi liqueur. The drink itself was crafted by one of the distillery’s head mixologists. (Hey, how we can get that job?)
MOM’S JUICE RECIPE:
- 1.5 oz Half Shell Vodka
- 0.5 oz kiwi liqueur
- 0.75 oz blackberry bay leaf simple syrup
- 0.5 oz lemon
Blackberry bay leaf simple syrup:
- Bring ingredients along with sugar and water to a boil. Immediately turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Mash the blackberries while simmering.
- Strain the seeds with a fine mesh strainer.
- Transfer syrup into a container and let cool before refrigerating.
- Fill a double old-fashioned glass with ice.
- In a shaker tin, add Half Shell vodka, kiwi liqueur, blackberry bay leaf simple syrup, and lemon juice.
- Add ice and shake. Strain over the glass and garnish with dried kiwi and fresh blackberry.
More stories like this:
Popular Myths about Florida Debunked
Urban Legends about Florida That Keep You Awake at Night
Was There Actually a Fountain of Youth in Florida Once?
Is St. Augustine Really the Oldest City in America?
11 Crazy Things To Co in Orlando
25 Fun Things to Know About Disney’s Animal Kingdom on its 25th Anniversary
Things to do in Orlando Besides Theme Parks
Is There a Six Flags Park in Florida?
Is Jacksonville Really the Country’s Biggest City?
Is Florida the Hurricane Capital of the World?
Why Should You Shuffle Your Feet on Florida Beaches?