Flowers are fine, and candles are clever. But come on: Don’t you think Mom deserves something she really wants for Mother’s Day this year? Try a custom-made cocktail called “Mom’s Juice” made with sustainable vodka.
Half Shell Vodka has a tasty recipe that Mom will ask for year after year. But only you will have the recipe.
If you’re not familiar with Half Shell Vodka, it’s a new sustainably minded spirit produced by Distillery 98 in Santa Rosa Beach in Florida’s Panhandle. The homegrown operation created spirits in small batches from locally sourced, family-farmed ingredients.
For its vodka, Distillery 98 uses water from local aquifers and Florida-grown corn that is later recycled into livestock feed. Their spirits are even packaged in a 94 percent recyclable paperboard bottle. The liquor’s catchy name – Half Shell Vodka – is inspired by the distillation process, which includes a unique activated coconut carbon and oyster shell filtration system.
The secret ingredient to Mom’s juice is a kiwi liqueur. The drink itself was crafted by one of the distillery’s head mixologists. (Hey, how we can get that job?)
MOM’S JUICE RECIPE:
- 1.5 oz Half Shell Vodka
- 0.5 oz kiwi liqueur
- 0.75 oz blackberry bay leaf simple syrup
- 0.5 oz lemon
Blackberry bay leaf simple syrup:
- Bring ingredients along with sugar and water to a boil. Immediately turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Mash the blackberries while simmering.
- Strain the seeds with a fine mesh strainer.
- Transfer syrup into a container and let cool before refrigerating.
- Fill a double old-fashioned glass with ice.
- In a shaker tin, add Half Shell vodka, kiwi liqueur, blackberry bay leaf simple syrup, and lemon juice.
- Add ice and shake. Strain over the glass and garnish with dried kiwi and fresh blackberry.
More stories like this:
- Popular Myths about Florida Debunked
- Urban Legends about Florida That Keep You Awake at Night
- Was There Actually a Fountain of Youth in Florida Once?
- Is St. Augustine Really the Oldest City in America?
- 11 Crazy Things To Co in Orlando
- 25 Fun Things to Know About Disney’s Animal Kingdom on its 25th Anniversary
- Things to do in Orlando Besides Theme Parks
- Is There a Six Flags Park in Florida?
- Is Jacksonville Really the Country’s Biggest City?
- Is Florida the Hurricane Capital of the World?
- Why Should You Shuffle Your Feet on Florida Beaches?
- Why is Orlando called ‘The City Beautiful?’